VISIT JEJU

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?

본문

  • Add to wishlist

    2

  • Like

    2

  • Review

    0

  • Reg itinerary

    0

  • I visited.

    0

  • Lookup

    8,038

  • Share SNS

    2

오현단


Ohyeondan Altar was designated Jejudo Monument 1. It was a place to enshrine exiled people or Bangeosa (government workers sent by department of defense during the Joseon Dynasty) that contributed to the educational development of the area. The Ohyeon (five wise men) were Chungam Kim Jeong, who was exiled in 1520 (the 15th year of King Jungjong’s reign), Gyuam Song In-su, who was Moksa in 1534 (the 29th year of King Jungjong’s reign), Cheongeum Kim Sang-heon, who was Anmusa in 1601 (the 34th year of King Seonjo’s reign), Donggye Jeong On, who was exiled in 1614 (the 6th year of King Gwanghaegun’s reign), and Uam Song Si-yeol, who was exiled in 1689 (the 15th year of King Sukjong’s reign). The altar was first built in 1578 (the 11th year of King Seonjo’s reign) as a tomb meant to pay tribute to Chungam Kim Jeong by Judge Jo In-jun when Im Jin was serving as Moksa. But in 1655 (the 6th year of King Hyeonjong’s reign), when Lee Jung-sin was serving as Moksa, Judge Choe Jin-nam relocated the Tomb of Chungam to the south of Jangsudang Shrine, which is the current location of Ohyeondan Altar. In 1682 (the 8th year of King Sukjong’s reign), when Sin Gyeong-yun was serving as Jeoljesa, he dispatched Yejojeongrang An Geon-ji to Jejudo Island to rename the altar Gyullimseowon Confucian Academy and put up a frame picture in accordance with the will of King Sukjong. It originally enshrined four wise men, those being Kim Jeong, Song In-su, Kim Sang-heon, and Jeong On, until 1695 (the 21st year of King Sukjong’s reign) when Jeoljesa Lee Ik-tae enshrined Song Si-yeol. That is how it became to enshrine five wise men. In 1871 (the 8th year of King Gojong’s reign), the King decreed that all Confucian Academies in the nation should be taken down, and Gyullimseowon Confucian Academy was no exemption. However, in 1872 (the 29th year of King Gojong’s reign), Kim Ui-jeong established Jodu Monument in its place to pass down the virtues of the five wise men. Currently, the inscription 「Jeungjubeokrip」, engraved by Judge Hong Gyeong-seop and Memorial Stones of Chungam Kim Jeong and Uam Song Si-yeol, can be seen inside the altar. The ruins of Jeju’s old fortress site are located right next to the altar.


오현단
오현단
오현단
오현단

Recommended content